Monday, February 13, 2012

Bacon Heart Sandwich

On a regular basis, I do a pretty good job at sticking with my low(er) sodium diet. However, my biggest weakness is bacon (shocker, I know). Now that there's bacon with 30% lower sodium, I'm able to not feel as guilty eating it than I did before. It does the trick. Kind of.

I saw this recipe on TasteSpotting and thought making bacon into heart shapes was such an adorable idea, especially for Valentine's Day! What better way to show your honey you care than with bacon hearts in the morning? So, my rendition is to follow the recipe almost exactly, then add it to a breakfast sandwich (my specialty!!)
{I made a tray of bacon hearts, but you can make them for just two}
Recipe adapted from The Paper Mama

Ingredients: 2 slices of low sodium bacon, 1 avocado, 1 jalapeno, unseeded (optional), 1 cup of uncooked baby spinach, 4 large eggs, 2 slices of pepper jack cheese, 4 slices of 12 grain bread, toasted, 2 tablespoons Philadelphia veggie cream cheese, Mrs. Dash chipotle seasoning (optional), pepper.

{Serves 2}
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • On a greased baking sheet (with sides), mold each slice of bacon into heart shapes. Bake them for 14-16 minutes, depending on your preference.
  • While your bacon is in the oven, half your avocado with a knife and scoop both halves it into a mixing bowl. Using a spoon, mash your avocado until almost smooth. 
  • If you like more heat, dice your unseeded jalapeno. Add it to the avocado and mix together.
  • Add 1/2 the avocado mix to one of the bread slices. Add 1/2 cup spinach on top of each avocado mixture. Repeat for the second sandwich.
  • Cook two eggs at a time in a greased, medium-large skillet on medium heat. Add seasoning of choice here. Cook for 2 minutes and flip. Cut 1 slice of cheese in half and place a half on each egg. Cook for another 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. *If you do not like runny eggs, cook a few minutes longer until egg yolk hard. Repeat and make the next two eggs.
  • Place two eggs on each bed of spinach. 
  • Bacon hearts should be done around the same time as the eggs (if not slightly before). Take the baking sheet out of the oven and let cool for a couple minutes. 
  • Add one bacon heart on top of each egg sandwich. To finish the sandwiches, spread 1 tablespoon of veggie cream cheese on the two plain pieces of toasted bread. 
Enjoy with your boo!

2 comments:

  1. That is so adorable, and reminds me of a bouquet of bacon roses I saw on Pinterest! Haha And they're perfect for Valentine's Day!

    XO,
    SWEATshirt DRESSshirt
    http://sweatshirtdressshirt.blogspot.com

    P.S. You should enter my Juicy Couture earrings giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I appreciate each and every one of them. You sure know how to bring a smile to my face :)