Sunday, February 5, 2012

Crescent Jalapeno Poppers


Downtown Indianapolis has been crazy this past week. Super Bowl XLVI is taking place here today and I'll be downtown celebrating with a large group of my friends at a bar for a private party. In honor of that, I wanted to share another easy appetizer with you. Several months ago I stumbled upon various crescent roll recipes and I have been hooked ever since. They're such a great foundation for any bite size dish and have endless possibilities (just like the toast cups I made here). They're also pre-cut which makes the cooking process that much simpler, and that's fine by me! I saw this recipe on Pinterest (of course) and I was sold on it when I saw it included bacon and jalapeno. These were definitely a crowd pleaser in my house. The flaky crust and gooey cream cheese filling is too good to just eat one. Or two. Or three. Don't judge.
{My friend taught me his/his mom's way of cooking bacon in a saucepan. It cooks to perfection in it's own grease. I love that it makes bacon nibblets. Be sure to cook extra since you'll be popping bacon bits and want to be sure there's enough for your poppers.} 
Ingredients: 1 roll of reduced fat crescent roll dough, 1/2 package reduced fat cream cheese, 1 package of low sodium bacon (or regular), 2 jalapenos

{Serves 8}
  • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  • Take your crescent rolls and cream cheese out of the fridge to soften up.
  • Heat a medium sized saucepan over medium heat; quarter all of the bacon strips - I cut four or five at a time. Add the bacon to the saucepan and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently with a fork.                                                                          
  • While your bacon is cooking, cut each jalapeno into 8 slices*.
  • Now, once the bacon is cooked to your liking, scoop the bacon nibblets onto a paper towel lined plate and let cool. 
  • Unroll and separate your crescent roll dough by rolling a pizza cutter along the perforated lines.
  • Scoop a tablespoon of the cream cheese onto the larger side of each crescent roll triangle. Add some bacon nibblets and top it off with two side by side slices of jalapeno.
  • Starting with the larger side of the crescent dough, roll towards the opposite end of the triangle.
  • Place them on a baking sheet and pop them in the oven for 12 minutes. Be sure to let them cool a little before eating.
*The pictures above shows one quarter of jalapeno in the crescent rolls. I realized after pictures I needed to cut them in half in order to have jalapeno in every bite, which I fully suggest you do too.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments! I appreciate each and every one of them. You sure know how to bring a smile to my face :)