Sunday, March 4, 2012

Spicy Chicken Empanadas

I know I featured an empanda dish on here recently, but I couldn't help myself when I had some amazing cinnamon chicken leftovers from a dinner my boyfriend made for me {have I mentioned you're the best babe?}. It was easy inspiration for dinner the other night, especially since I typically add cinnamon to my chicken empanada mixture. I made them with my preferred filling of chicken, cinnamon, cumin, garlic, onions, jalapeno, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced tomatoes, lots of cilantro, and Parmesan. I know it sounds like a long list of ingredients to squeeze into a little finger food, but believe me these little suckers pack a punch - well worth the time and effort! The smoked Spanish flavors are amazing and they're even better when topped off with some a lot of sour cream!
{I diced leftover cinnamon chicken to use in the filling.}
{Cook the seasoned garlic, jalapeno, & onion. Add all other ingredients and let it simmer.}




















{Add Parmesan. Add the filling. Fold over , pinch sides together, then press down with a fork.}


















































My own recipe :)

{Makes 18}

Ingredients: 1/2 onion, diced. 2 cloves of garlic, minced.1 jalapeno, minced. 2 tsp cinnamon. 2 tsp ground cumin. 2 tsp ground pepper. 2 Cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded. 2 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, minced & 1 Tbsp of adobo sauce.1 can Hunt's No Salt added diced tomatoes, drained. 3 Tbsp cilantro, chopped. 3/4 Cup unsalted chicken stock. 1 box Pepperidge Farms puff pastry sheets, thawed. 1 Cup Parmesan cheese.1/2 Cup flour.1 large egg. 2 Tbsp water. Sour cream (optional, but recommended).
  • Take your puff pastry sheets out of the freezer to thaw at room temperature for approximately 40 minutes. 
  • Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 Tbsp grape seed oil. Add garlic, jalapeno, and onion and cook until onion is translucent. 
  • Add the cinnamon, cumin, and ground pepper. Cook for one more minute. 
  • Add the chicken, chipotle peppers and additional adobo sauce, tomatoes, cilantro, and chicken stock. Bring the ingredients to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 25 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened up. Once done, set aside to cool.
  • Lay one of the pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough so it's a little thinner and easier to work with. Using a 3 in cookie cutter (or a glass upside down like I did) cut out circles of the pastry dough. You can re-roll the dough one more time for more pastry circles, but more than one re-roll will result in tough, hard to work with dough. I was able to get 18 circles out of two pastry sheets.
  • Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
  • In a small mixing bowl, wisk together 1 egg and 2 Tbsp of water for the egg wash. Set aside.
  • Constructing one empanada at a time, wet the outside of the dough with water using your finger. Score the wet area with a fork. Add approximately 1 Tbsp of Parmesan in the middle of the circle. Then add 1 Tbsp of the cooled chicken mixture on top of the cheese. Take one side of the dough and fold over, enclosing the mixture. Pinch the sides down with your fingers and then use a fork to press down gently on the pinched sides (see pictures above if needed). Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Repeat until all pastry circles are used.
  • Using a basting/pastry brush, brush all tops of the constructed empanadas with egg wash. This will give your treats a nice, golden brown crust.
  • Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
  • Take the sheet out and let the empanadas cool for a few minutes. Serve with sour cream if desired.
Empanadas are time consuming compared to other finger foods, but they're made with a lot of love and I think they're more than worth it in the end. They kick all other finger foods butts! Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. oh my gosh this has made me SO HUNGRY! I love your post on wearing orange in the office too!

    I'd love if you could visit my blog! I am a new fashion blogger :)

    www.7wondersblog.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you liked both posts!

      Delete
  2. Allie these are mouth-watering delicious! Thanks for stopping by and for your lovely comment. Following now :) Hope you're having a great Wednesday! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allie, I'm Ali too! These look great, and your blog is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ali!! Thanks for stopping by and taking a look around! These empanadas are so good and I HIGHLY recommend! Hope you have a great weekend love!

      xx

      Delete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I appreciate each and every one of them. You sure know how to bring a smile to my face :)