Thursday, March 1, 2012

Thai Turkey Lettuce Wrap

I featured a lettuce wrap dish right before the Super Bowl took place and it was incredibly well received in my house. I was actually nervous when I made them because I honestly thought my roommate was just going to humor me and tell me he liked them, when in actuality he's resenting me for feeding him lettuce instead of bread. But I guess I completely underestimated him since he specifically asked if we could have them at least once a month! That in itself is a huge triumph. Since then, I have been on the search for lettuce wrap inspiration. I wanted to try at least one more recipe before I start completely experimenting with my own lettuce wrap concoctions. Don't you just love it when you stumble upon a recipe that catches you off guard and you literally utter "no effin way!"? Well, this recipe from the Steamy Kitchen blog did just that. Let's just say she had me at green apple.
{Clockwise: Diced red pepper. Diced green apple. Thinly sliced carrot chips. Mixture of diced shallots, minced garlic, grated ginger, & grated lemongrass.}
{Add the apple towards the end so it keeps a nice crunch}
{nom nom nom}
Adapted from The Steamy Kitchen

{Serves 3*}

{My}Filling Ingredients: 1 shallot, minced. 1 clove garlic, minced. 1 tsp lemongrass, grated. 1 tsp ginger root, grated. 2 red bell peppers, diced. 1/4 cup carrots, diced.1 Granny Smith apple, diced. 1 tbs red pepper flakes. 1 1/2 pounds of ground turkey. 2 heads of lettuce, leases separated.

{My}Sauce Ingredients: 3 tbs soy sauce. 2 tsp sesame oil. 2 tsp rice wine vinegar. Freshly ground black pepper. 2 tsp Sriracha hot sauce.
  • Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bow. Set aside.
  • Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic, ginger, and lemon grass to the pan. Cook for 3 minutes until the shallots are translucent and garlic is starting to brown. 
  • Add the ground turkey to the pan. Cook the turkey until it's cooked almost all the way through. Ground turkey tends to stay pretty mended together, so make sure you break it up with your spoon when cooking it. 
  • Add the red bell peppers and diced carrots and stir. I added red pepper flakes here as well. 
  • Add the sauce you prepared from the above directions and mix all the ingredients to coat. 
  • Let the ingredients in the pan simmer for a few minutes. Then, add the diced green apple and toss all ingredients to coat evenly. I kept it on the heat for an additional minute then removed it from the heat so the apple was still crispy.
  • Scoop desired amount into each lettuce leaf and serve in a bowl or a plate. Top with extra carrot slices {or shavings} if desired.
  • Eat** & enjoy!

Feel free to follow Jaden's recipe, my slightly altered recipe, or put your own twist on the dish! If I could have found the Mung Bean Noodles Jaden was talking about, I most likely would have tried them. Maybe next time. 



*I should disclose that this served two grown men and a woman who eats like a man (sometimes more)
**Warning - these things are messy, so be sure to have a roll of paper towels on hand. Maybe a bib too. And don't wear silk. 

2 comments:

  1. mmmmm those look yummy! They remind me of P.F Changs lettuce wraps, which I LOVE!
    xo,
    eMr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely similar {with the exception of the green apple} and sooo tasty! Thanks so much for stopping by!! xx

      Delete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I appreciate each and every one of them. You sure know how to bring a smile to my face :)