Saturday, April 7, 2012

Baked Turkey Meatballs


I really enjoy eating and cooking ground turkey {see here & here}. It's so lean and we always feel so much better about ourselves when we opt for turkey over beef. When I say we, I'm talking about my roommate Matt, FYI. So when I was shopping at Trader Joe's, I picked up a package of ground turkey with no specific dish or recipe in mind that I've been jonesing to try. However, the other night when I was at Target I spotted a Hot Chile Pineapple Sauce that looked really tasty. It ended up being my inspiration to get down and dirty in the kitchen and make some meatballs! Why exactly? I really have no clue, but I am not one to object the voice of my inner wannabe chef, so I added the bottle to my basket and went on my way. 

My thoughts on this sauce: one of my best food purchases this past month! It's kind of like the sweet chili sauce I used in this post, but includes garlic, pineapple chunks, and actual chili seeds! The sauce's flavor is exceptional and comes with a more powerful kick. I like a good swift kick in the ass sometimes when it comes to sauces. Who doesn't really? But overall it paired extremely well with the meatballs, which already had great flavor if I do say so myself. ;)
{Saute red onion, jalapeno, & garlic. Combine with ground turkey & spices then form golf ball sized meatballs}
{Line em' up on a baking sheet and pop them in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes}
{Flip all meatballs then bake for another 15 minutes}
{Close up of the deceitfully filling final product}
{Get fancy with it and serve with dipping sauces. Left: homemade pesto - recipe coming soon. Right: Archer Farms (aka Target) Hot Chile Pineapple Sauce - which was prettttyyy fire.}

My own fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants recipe :)

{Makes 15 meatballs}

Ingredients: 1/2 red onion, diced. 1 1/2 jalapeno, deseeded & diced. 3 medium cloves of garlic, minced. 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey. 3/4 cup bread crumbs. 1 Tbsp Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime Seasoning. Salt & pepper. Sauces for dipping - your choice. 

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Add a Tbsp of olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. 
  3. Add the onions, jalapeno, and garlic to the pan and cook for about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for a couple minutes.
  4. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray. I do this so there's less clean up :)
  5. Break up the ground turkey into a large mixing bowl. Add the cooked onion mixture and seasonings to the bowl, then thoroughly mix together with your hands. I actually forgot to include an egg, but they turned out great and didn't crumble at all. Add or leave the egg out, do what your little heart desires.
  6. Break off about 1/3 Cup of the turkey and use your hands to roll it into a ball, equivalent to the size of a golf ball. Place on the lined baking sheet. Repeat until all of the ground turkey mixture is used. 
  7. Place the baking sheet into the oven and cook for 20 minutes.
  8. Using tongs, flip each meatball over, then place back in the over to cook for another 15 minutes {mine turned out perfectly when baked for 35 minutes at this temperature}.
  9. Take the baking sheet out of the oven and set aside to cool for about 5 minutes. You don't want to bite into them ASAP and burn your mouth. That would be no bueno.
  10. Serve as an appetizer or dinner, but make sure and include a dipping sauce {or a few!}
Hope you try this recipe out and let me know thoughts! 

xx

5 comments:

  1. it looks absolutely delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm they look delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg looks so Yummie!!

    http://mentrend.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I appreciate each and every one of them. You sure know how to bring a smile to my face :)