Sunday, April 22, 2012

Cheese Popovers

I pinned a recipe for popovers from Completely Delicious a long time ago, but never tried it out until my dad raved about some he had at The Cliff House in San Francisco. He described them as light and airy goodness; he couldn't have been more correct! I've made them many times now in a regular muffin pan and they've turned out wonderful every time. However, my dad and step-mom, Michelle, surprised me with a large and mini set of popover pans for my birthday back in March! I was so excited to try them out, but that's when I ran into a minor setback when our oven decided to crap out for a while. I didn't want to chance these guys not rising to their fullest potential, so I held off until now.

Popovers are a light hollow rolls that serve as a fabulous sidekick to chili and any other dish that needs sopping up. They can also be served as a breakfast dish with some honey butter or flavored cream cheese. I honestly can't choose which way I like them more, so I eat them both ways on the reg. They're a cinch to prepare and then you just need to pop them in the oven, kick back and relax while Mr.Whirlpoool does all the work. You'll see them rise higher and higher, defying gravity one glorious inch at a time, all while filling your house with a cheesy aroma that can eventually bring on some major hunger pains. The wait is well worth it as you tear into the cheesy popover, releasing steam as a soft faint of "hallelujah" echos in your head. If heaven had a smell, I would like to think this is it.
{The batter is made up of flour, salt, egg, and steamed whole milk}
{Pour the batter almost to the brim of each cup, then add shredded Parmesan on top}
{Look at the height these little baked goods get}
{The cheese crisps up nicely and leaves your house smelling phenomenal}

Head on over here for the ingredients and instructions - I didn't deviate from Annalise's recipe at all. I think a crucial part of making popovers is heating the oven and pans up simultaneously, in addition to moving quickly when pouring the batter. I spaced on that part one time and my popovers didn't pop much and stuck to the pan. Not sure if that had something to do with it, but I haven't forgotten and haven't had an issue since. 

In addition to the cheese version, I made some mini chocolate, coffee, and sugar popovers, but I'll do a full post on that in the near future.

Have a great Sunday! :)

xx


8 comments:

  1. These are fabulous! Can't wait to see the other variations too :)

    Laura xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look SO good. I was already hungry, but after seeing these I'm starving. I will definitely be trying them out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wauw these look greaat yummiieee

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh - these look absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! And perfect with a glass of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look delicious!

    http://thestyleattitude.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delicious!!!

    http://whatsinhercloset411.blogspot.com/

    XOXO,

    Amber & Steph

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I appreciate each and every one of them. You sure know how to bring a smile to my face :)