Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Green Eggs & Ham Remix

Happy Hump Day! I wanted to do a quick post about a little breakfast dish I made this past Saturday morning for Tyler and I. Since I made a pretty hefty amount of pesto for this dish last week, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to experiment and get creative! It's not like I haven't had green eggs before, but I've never made them or eaten them with these ingredients. I actually had everything on hand, most likely intended for another dish I had in mind, but breakfast turned out pretty yummy. The remix to the great Doc's Green Eggs & Ham dish: use prosciutto instead of ham. It's the grown up thing to do. 

I can honestly say that it's boyfriend approved, but that doesn't really say much considering the boy will eat ANYTHING. That's why we make a great pair. Well, one of many reasons {insert "awww" here"}. Just kidding. 
Inspiration from the large amount of pesto I previously made. Oh, and Dr. Suess J

{Serves 2}

Ingredients: 4 slices of bread/sandwich thins/bagels. 5 eggs.  4 slices of prosciutto. 2 Tbsp pesto. 4 slices mozzarella cheese. 16 cherry tomatoes, halved. Salt & Pepper. Fresh basil, chiffonade {optional;}. Balsamic vinegar {optional}.

Directions:
  1. Turn the broiler on in your oven.
  2. Place your pieces of bread on a baking sheet and place under the broiler for 4 minutes. Take them out and set aside.
  3. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and lightly coat with cooking spray. In a bowl, whisk together 5 eggs. Pour the eggs into the heated skillet.
  4. Add ground pepper (and salt if you must) and use a plastic spoon to scramble the eggs as they cook. Once they’re hardening up (but still pretty soft) add the pesto and continue to scramble until cooked to your liking.
  5. Remove the eggs from the skillet by evenly distributing on each piece of toast. Place the skillet back on the burner.
  6. Now, add the slices of prosciutto to the skillet and let crisp up for about 30 seconds. Flip the slices over and continue to cook for another 30 seconds.  Add a slice of prosciutto on top of each sandwich (on top of the eggs).
  7. Add a slice of mozzarella cheese on top of the prosciutto, then 8 halves of the cherry tomatoes on top of that.
  8. Place the baking sheet under the broiler for 4 – 5 minutes in order to roast the tomatoes and melt the cheese.
  9. Take the sheet out of the oven, add some chiffonaded basil and drizzle a small amount for balsamic vinegar over each open faced sandwich, and serve immediately.

Enjoy!!

xx


12 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I love the photo.
    I don't particularly like eggs or ham, but my bf would love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely let me know how it turns out if you try it!! xx

      Delete
  2. Umm.. that looks DELISH! Must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg that looks sooooooooo good! I need to try this! I'm totally pinning this right now.

    Love your blog! Following you now and would love it if you'd follow me back!

    ♥ Duckie.

    http://frikkenduckie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'll be over to check out your blog! xx

      Delete
  4. This looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe, I will definitely be trying it. Love what you're doing, I am a new follower!

    xx
    www.adoredbyalex.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm a follower of yours now too! xx

      Delete
  5. Yummy!
    Happy Thursday Hun xoxo
    http://www.intotheblonde.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good!!
    Thank you for posting the recipe :)

    http://www.vanityfrills.blogspot.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha I laughed about the boyfriend approved apart. You're lucky cuz my boyfriend is not as easy to please when it comes to food, but I guess that's okay because when I make a really great meal.. I get lots & lots of excitement hahaha! Anyway that looks absolutely delicious! I might have to check that out! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I appreciate each and every one of them. You sure know how to bring a smile to my face :)