Thursday, May 24, 2012

Guacamole

Memorial Day is this weekend, so that means lots of eating and drinking is in my near future. It's apparent I love to cook great food for myself, but I really enjoy cooking for my friends and family more! Whether it's a side dish, appetizer, or an entire meal, nothing makes me happier than rave reviews, smiling faces, and full tummies. 

A quick and easy guacamole recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser for any occasion. Use it as a traditional dip or slap some on your hamburger {or even hot dog} for a fire meal! Just know that it won't last long, especially around drunk and hungry people. Feel free to tweak this recipe by leaving out unwanted items {onions are a common dislike among my friends...crazy, I know} or add different ingredients to change it up! It'll hit the spot either way - enjoy!
{Scoop the avocado goodness into a bowl & start mashing}
{Add all ingredients & mix it up}
{Serve the guac in individual bowls & top with tortilla scoops}
{Enjoy}

Pretty sure I learned this from my Dad

{Makes 1 batch}

Ingredients: 5 avocados, halved. 3 Tbsp lime juice. 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped. 1/2 medium red onion, diced. 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced.1/4 Cup cilantro, chopped. 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes. 1/2 tsp ground cumin. Salt & pepper to taste. 

Directions:
  • Your avocados are halved already, correct? Now, cup the halved avocado {with the pit} in your hand and using a sharp knife, strike the pit of the avocado with tip of the knife. Give it a little twist and the pit should pop right out; discard into the trash. Continue until all pits have been removed.
  • Scoop the insides of each halved avocado into a mixing bowl. Add the lime juice; mash together with a large spoon or mortar.
  • Add tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, red pepper flakes, ground cumin, salt/pepper to the avocado mash; mix all ingredients together. 
  • Serve in a large bowl or scoop some into smaller bowls and top with chips for individual servings. 

Again, feel free to go light or heavy on some of the ingredients listed {e.g. I LOVE cilantro and use A LOT}. Hope you all have a happy weekend!! 

xx


3 comments:

  1. Yum!! I've never been the biggest fan of guac, but this recipe looks delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making and eating guac! I don't usually put tomato in mine because I don't want the juices to make it watery. Does that issue ever come up when you make yours? I might try it with the tomato just because you do, and you always make yummy stuff!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks delissshh like ussuall

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I appreciate each and every one of them. You sure know how to bring a smile to my face :)