Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Italian Spring with R Bistro


A couple weeks back, one of my best friends, Claire, invited me to attend a cooking class with her at R Bistro in downtown Indy. Let's just say the class exceeded my expectations. I assumed it was going to take place in a typical classroom setting {think high school home-ec}, but I was pleasantly surprised when our class of eight headed back into the kitchen of R Bistro to cook our Italian Spring meal. 

The instructor and Sous Chef of R Bistro, Erin Kem, rattled through the night's intimidating menu, handed out recipes, paired us off, and sent us on our way. Claire and I were in charge of the Sicilian Rice Balls with Salsa Verde. My heart sank a little when Chef Erin told us that entailed cooking risotto {I'm known to butcher rice almost every time}. However, my spirits were lifted when Erin informed us the rice needed to be slightly overcooked in order for the rice to stick together when forming the rice balls. Overcook rice?! Now that I can do with confidence. Shaping the little guys turned out to be quite the messy challenge for Claire and I, but we managed to get through it with minimal risotto casualties. As we popped them in the chiller to set, we sat down with the rest of the class to enjoy the first course, Sweet Pea and Asparagus Salad.

After we licked our plates clean, everyone headed back into the kitchen to finish the remaining second course dishes. Claire and I dropped our rice balls into the industrial fryer until they turned golden brown and served them with a tasty Salsa Verde. Along with our dish, the second course consisted of homemade Focaccia bread, Braised Artichokes, and Spinach & Ricotta Gnocchi with Fava Beans and Prosciutto di Parma. Drool worthy menu lineup, right? All of the dishes looked beautiful and tasted even better – just take a look-see!
{Vino with dinner - it really was "good"}
{Sweet Pea & Asparagus Salad}
{Homemade Focaccia and Braised Artichokes with Garlic, Mint, & Parsley}
{Sicilian Rice Balls with Salsa Verde}
{The contrast of the crunchy outside with the creamy inside was superb}
{Spinach & Ricotta Gnocchi with Fava Beans and Prosciutto di Parma}
{We ended the night on Zabaglione with Berries}

If you love to cook and live in Indianapolis, you should really look into this monthly cooking class at R Bistro. Unfortunately, it isn’t cheap, but you can pick and choose which classes you want to attend, so there's no long term commitment! In addition to meeting some nice {and helpful!} people, you get to learn great techniques and listen to cool cooking stories from Chef Erin

Lastly, I wanted to give a big thanks to Jackie for letting me take her spot in the class for the evening and of course to Claire for the invitation – it was a blast! Thanks ladies! :)

xx

4 comments:

  1. Hey.I love this!! I follow you & if you like follow me back! :)

    The Golden Bun | new post | follow me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh... this all looks amazing. The rice balls look like they came out perfectly! And the gnocchi, yum. And the dessert, YUM!!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so fun and the food looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I appreciate each and every one of them. You sure know how to bring a smile to my face :)