Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Pattern Indy

//Pattern meetup// Top: Alice and Olivia via TJ Maxx / Shorts: F21 
/ Heels: H&M / Purse: TJ Maxx / Necklace: Natasha via TJ Maxx
/ Watch: Michael Kors / Bracelets: J. Crew, Niche Boutique /
{Note: The ghetto 1970's cushions that you see here are now gone.
My roommate was embarrassed about their repeated appearance on my
 blog. But hey, I got him to get new cushions. Score!}
{Jessica and I - the background was not ideal, but I did crop 
out the neon yellow 'wet floor' sign, so it is a tad easier on the eyes}

A couple of weeks ago, I attended the April Pattern meetup downtown. Pattern is a space for fashion-minded individuals, with diverse backgrounds, who reside in Indy. Pattern's primary objective is create a sustainable and influential fashion community through monthly events and networking opportunities. I'm so thrilled to have discovered Pattern a couple of months ago! Already, I've met wonderful fashion lovers and professionals through Pattern who've offered great pointers and their support. It's funny, I can't tell you how many gasps I received when I shamefully admitted I wasn't on Twitter. After many great cases stated by Twitter advocates, I caved and started an account last week {follow me!}.

This was my first Pattern meetup which focused on what it takes to be a successful style/fashion blogger. Special guest Jessica Quirk {who really needs no introduction, but...}, writer of international blog What I Wore and author of What I Wore: Four Season, One Closet, Endless Recipes for Personal Style, answered interview questions left and right in the most poised manner. I love her "Look Good, Feel Good" philosophy, because that's exactly what personal style is all about. You can embrace crazy trends, avant-garde gowns, and sky-high armadillo shoes, but at the end of the day your personal style needs to shine through. As my boyfriend repeatedly tells me - "Do You [babe]!" 

As a newbie blogger and fashion fanatic, it's easy to get carried away comparing myself to other bloggers and their sites. They have more followers than me. I could never afford that purse/shoes/shirt/etc. Look how many sponsors are on her side bar. I wish I had more time to take out-and-about photos. And the list goes on and on and on. But only if you let it. 

My favorite Quirk line of the night: "I think there's more than enough to go around [in the blogosphere]." That's something new {and established} bloggers should repeat to themselves everyday! Think of it as a blogger daily affirmation. If you need a little inspiration, click here and get on this little Jessica's level {try and not be inspired - I dare you!}. In essence, I'm honored to call Jessica Quirk a sorority sister {from another chapter that is}, blogger idol, and an overall cool ass chick. Oh, and I'm jealous of your long legs, but that's a comparison I really have no control over. ;)

I can't wait until the next Pattern meetup {May 24th!} and of course, dinner with some new Indy blogger friends in a couple of weeks! Check out these lovely ladies for some great reads, ideas, and inspiration:

Ashley of Hem and Her
Sarah of Indy Green Queen

xx

P.S. Don't forget to enter the Mother's Day Better Together Contest I posted about yesterday! You have until tomorrow (5/10) at midnight to enter! Just choose your location for a chance to win the grand prize!!!

7 comments:

  1. I love this. It is soooo easy to compare yourself to others and at times feel like you just can't keep up. So these are great words of inspriation. And NICE TJ Maxx finds!! That one in Indy always has great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your top, so cute. And I really love this post.. it's so true, if you always compare yourself to others, you'll never be satisfied with what you have! :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing finds at TJ Maxx! Alice & Olivia?!? To die for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! I've gotten some amazing designer items there. The one in Indianapolis is a goldmine!

      Delete
  4. LOVE these pink shorts! SO cute! I am your newest follower and would love for you to stop by The Jem Journal to say hi as well as checking out my earring giveaway!
    Morgan
    www.thejemjournal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that message! More than enough to go around. We all need to remember that!! Cute outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the shorts and the necklace! I also love shopping for things at TJ Maxx...you can find such great deals there.
    --Becky
    preppypremed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I appreciate each and every one of them. You sure know how to bring a smile to my face :)