Friday, July 20, 2012

{Friday's Fancies} Island Attire

Island Attire

Hi everyone! I've been a bit MIA this week. I took off some much needed "me time" from a lot of different commitments, which included blogging. Next week I'll share some pretty tasty dishes with you as well as an outfit post or two. We shall see...

Hopefully in the near future, Tyler and I {along with family and friends} will take a trip to their island in Canada. He's raved about this place since we met and I can feel myself getting more and more anxious as time goes by yearning to spend time on this magical little island. A whole week of playing, swimming, reading, lounging, exploring, laughing, drinking and eating sounds like a fan-freakin-tastic vacay right about now! Supposedly, there are blueberry bushes all over the island you can eat {can you say dreamy?!} and lots of places to dip into and explore. Escaping reality is something I can do all on my own {hence the name Allie's Bubble}, but this is like realllyyy escaping reality. Maybe if I blog about it, it'll really happen. Just maybe.

So, instead of following the "Euro Theme" proposed by {av}, I'm going an alternate route and escaping to Canada - Kennisis Lake, Ontario to be exact. For this particular escape, no heels or fancy dresses are needed. Here's a glimpse at what I would pack for a playful week at the island:
  • A wide brimmed hat is considered a necessity in my book when being outside for more than a couple of hours, especially for consecutive days! Keeping the sun off my nose, ears, and forehead as much as I can is very important to me and this hat will serve just that purpose! 
  • While exploring the island, some essentials like bug spray, sun block, and my camera would need to tag a long too. This backpack is roomy enough to hold it all and cute enough for me to want to two-strap it to my back.
  • Maxi dresses are my typical go-to after 5pm and will also be a go-to of mine while lounging in a hammock with my nose in a book. I have several plain and printed maxis in different fabrics, but my favorites are in super soft jersey material. Paired with slip on flip flops and I'm in my dream outfit.
  • loose tank top  is always handy and as you know, can be dressed up or down. In this vacay there's no need to be dressed up, but there is plenty of down time where this little razor back is needed. Pair it with drawstring shorts and cute exploring shoes for getting lost on the island. 
  • We've already discussed the versatility a chambray button down encompasses {remember here} and it'd be the perfect addition to my island wardrobe. I'd throw it over my bathing suit or even embrace the Canadian tuxedo {aka denim on denim}. When in Rome right?!?
  • For a romantic dinner picnic with the boy, I'd try and at least look a tad presentable meaning taking a shower, shaving the legs, and throwing on a printed romper to set the mood. 
  • A pair of boat shoes are a great investment. I don't even consider them an investment though since you can get them under $50 on any given day. But I've worn mine too many times to count. They're a practical and cute shoe, which is why they're so popular! They're available in an array of colors and prints, so you can find a pair that reflect your style.
  • One of the most important items on this list are of course the bikinis. Why would you even NOT bring a bikini to an island vacation? Unless it's a nude colony that is. But this one is not, so bikinis are required. I like to bring separates that can be easily mixed and matched, like bright solids {and here}, stripes, and florals

I'm off to a new lake for the night, followed by a Wine and Canvas night with my coworker/friend, and a dear friend's bon voyage party {Los Angeles is stealing him from us - boo!}. Hope you all have a fabulous weekend! 

xx

4 comments:

  1. I love that maxi dress and fun romper. Have fun this weekend! :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mixing and matching bikinis too! 2 yrs ago I bought a simple white bikini, which is great because it basically goes with anything else. It's like your swimsuit options multiply!

    Hope you enjoyed your time off.

    Sarah's Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes we do need some ME time! oh an island in Canada, take me! sounds like so much fun! but loving this outfit. hope you have a great weekend!

    xxA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maxi dresses and rompers perfect for summer weekends with family and friends. Good to take time away and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I appreciate each and every one of them. You sure know how to bring a smile to my face :)