Friday, July 13, 2012

{Fridays Fancies} Wedding Guest Attire

Wedding Guest Attire: Summer Edition


TGIF everyone! Hope you've had a fan-tabulous week! As you all know, we're currently in the middle of wedding season. How many weddings have you already gone to this year? I've attended three and have another one creeping up here soon. I'm a major fan of weddings, but who isn't?!? You get dolled up to dance the night away {awkward moves are always appropriate}, drink one too many glasses of wine and champagne, eat fancy shamncy food, and celebrate the wonderful gift of love to the wee hours of the night! I'd say the only stress a wedding endures on a party guest is strategically planning your placement for snagging that bouquet and what to wear. Am I right?!  

Well, you're in luck! For this Friday's Fancies, I've put together several outfits for different wedding occasions. If you didn't know, there's different types of weddings - beach, day, evening, formal/black tie, etc. This means your outfit attire will vary. Here's a few tips on how to dress for the called upon occasion:

  • Beach Wedding: A long, flowy dress in a vibrant color is perfect for the romantic setting. If the ceremony is taking place on the sand, opt for a pair of strappy sandals in a metallic color. A little wedge is appropriate, but you want to make sure you look effortless walking in the sand. A beachy chic hair-do is in order for the occasion as well - try out some beachy waves or a side fishtail braid to finish off the look! 
  • Day Wedding: Who says sequins are only appropriate when the sun goes down? I definitely don't. A cute sparkly top paired with lightweight skirt is a great way to beat the heat and look chic! Keep the rest of the outfit super simple with nude pumps, a colorful clutch, and minimal wrist candy! For the hair, try out some Hollywood curls to keep with the feminine vibe!
  • Black Tie Wedding: I've never attended a black tie {formal} wedding before, but if I ever get the chance a long strapless dress with a classic print is in order. This print begs to be accompanied by bold accessories - like a red clutch and red chandelier earrings. Wear your hair up in a big Carrie Bradshaw bun {see my version here} to really show off those crystals hanging from your ears! 
  • Evening Wedding: Most weddings take place in the evening, then well into the night! Opt for a classic, above the knee sheath dress in a bright color {extra points for waist detail!}. You can go many ways with accessories, but I recommend showering yourself in glitzy jewels! A little black bag and sleek black heels are called for to keep the look classic. Throw your hair in a low bun so you can dance the night away while still looking put together!
A few other "rule of thumbs" I have to offer are the following:
  1. Figure out the color(s) of the bridesmaids dresses so people don't confuse you for being a part of the bridal party {with the exception of a LBD}!
  2. Make sure the hem line of your skirt or dress is long enough to cover your butt - even while dancing! No one wants to see your butt cheeks when dancing to "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-a-lot.
  3. DO NOT WEAR WHITE! That's just inappropriate. 
Do you have any go-to dresses for weddings? Any other helpful wedding tips to share? Drop some knowledge on me people. I'm ready.

Don't forget to visit {longdistanceloving} for more wedding guest attire! Have a happy weekend!! 

xx

12 comments:

  1. Stopping by from Friday Fancies, again. ;) Love that you created a summertime wedding guide. All of your advice is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the day look! That top is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want that evening dress! it totally looks like something i'd wear! but all the looks are super cute! x0, jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. You covered it all! Great choices! I especially love the beach wedding outfit. Have a great weekend!
    Cheers,
    Sara
    www.SocialSara.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the evening wedding look. I miraculously only have one wedding to go to this year. My friends and family have taken a little break from the nuptials.

    Tara
    Penniless Socialite

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love how you created looks for different wedding venues very clever of you! i love each of the looks but my favorite is the beach one

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that you put together four different looks -- my favorites have to be the beach and black tie looks! So super cute! I'm your newest follower, yay for new blog friends! xo

    http://dreamingenfrancais.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want those 2 maxi dresses immediately. I totally agree with your 3 rules, you won't even believe the things that I've seen at weddings.

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, I love all of these looks! The Day outfit is killer. What an amazing combo you made there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Four stunning dresses! Love everything :)

    Laura xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post, very creative!

    -Jenn

    http://apopofstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Orange Maxi is looking really sexy. I like that so much.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    - New York Photographer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I appreciate each and every one of them. You sure know how to bring a smile to my face :)