Thursday, August 2, 2012

Caprese Cups

I love days when I get to work from home. Most of the time it's for unfortunate reasons, like being sick or car troubles, but nonetheless I get to sport lounging clothes. It's a nice break from my pencil skirts and heels, but the BEST part of it is the capability to make some good eats for breakfast and lunch! This particular day, I decided to experiment with some Pillsbury Grands Jr. Biscuit Dough that had been sitting in my fridge for quite some time {like over a month, not years}. I happened to have a small chunk of mozzarella, new package of cherry tomatoes, prosciutto, and a fresh bunch of basil (courtesy of my boyfriend) on hand, which is pretty much my favorite combo of ingredients...ever. After mashing the dough in my popover pan (my muffin pan was at Tyler's house), adding all the ingredients, and baking them for 13 minutes, I indulged in one of my favorite muffin creations to date. The cheese was melted, but not too gooey. The prosciutto was warm and the basil slightly crispy. The tomatoes were roasted to sweet perfection. I sent a picture to my boyfriend before I scarfed down a few more. He was a tad bit jealous, so I brought a couple caprese cups over later to make up for rubbing it in his face. I figured I owed him that much ;)


{Makes 10}

Ingredients: 1 package of Pillsbury Grands Jr. Biscuit Dough. 1 block mozzarella cheese. 5 slices prosciutto, halved. 20 cherry tomatoes, quartered. 10 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade or chopped.


Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Lightly spray your muffin. Add one sliced of pre-cut dough into each muffin tin, pressing down lightly and up the sides of the tin. 
  3. From your block of cheese, cut 1 inch by 1 inch chunks until you have ten (really just cut them so they fit nicely in the bottom of the muffins).
  4. Add one chunk of mozzarella cheese to the bottom of the dough. Add prosciutto on top of the cheese, then four pieces of cherry tomatoes. Top with basil; repeat. 
  5. Place the muffin pan in the oven and cook for 11 minutes. Turn the oven off, then turn on the broiler. Broil for 2 minutes, then remove and let sit for 5 minutes.
Hope you enjoy!! 

**UPDATE: I used Popover pans that I received from my Dad and Michelle which can be found through Amazon {I have these ones: here & here}. However, I typically use my regular size muffin pans for these type of cups. Feel free to email me wit any questions.

xx

9 comments:

  1. That looks super yummy! Well, I'm a vegetarian so I would skip the prosciutto, but I think it sounds good even without the meat.

    Recently I tried a pasta recipe that had tomatoes, basil, olive oil, brie and garlic. I mean there's pretty much no wrong that can be done with those ingredients.

    Sarah's Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those look amazing! My husband would love these...will be trying:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh these look amazing! I studied abroad in Italy this past summer and ate a ton of caprese cups. I've found myself craving them here, so I'm definitely pinning this (giving you credit of course!) and making these someday!


    --Becky
    preppypremed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These seem easy to make & look VERY delicious! I can't have gluten, but could easily make these with gluten-free dough. yum!

    Oh, My

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg!! it looks so Delish!! thankx for sharing
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG these look UNREAL! YUM YUM YUM!!! <3 LOVE you beautiful girl :)
    Obviously Obsessed 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, it looks absolutely yammy! wonderful! I'm now getting hungry:)hehe

    Xx

    Alexandra

    www.fashion-bridge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. where is the print button when u need it? :-)
    this sounds delish, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect recipe!! This looks so great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I appreciate each and every one of them. You sure know how to bring a smile to my face :)