Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Pattern Meetup at the IMA

A couple of weeks ago I attended the Pattern and Fashion Arts Society (FAS) meetup that took place at the Indiana Museum of Arts (IMA). We gathered together to take a personal tour of the exhibit, An American Legacy: Norell, Blass, Halston & Sprouse, all of whom are from Indiana! Their classic, iconic creations were put on display for us to admire drool over {don't worry, I didn't actually drool on the pieces}. I couldn't get enough of the vintage textiles and patterns used, which range from the 1940's to the 21st century. Out of all the collections {currently what's on display - there's more to come!}, I have to admit that Norman Norell and Stephen Sprouse had me weak in the knees. Of course, I wanted to snatch Halston's beautifully draped dress {inspired by Andy Warhol's 'flowers' painting - pictures 13 & 14 below} right off the mannequin, but I contained myself. For those of you who cannot make it to this fabulous exhibition, enjoy some of the pieces I captured below with what little information I was able to remember from the plaques provided! But you really should go see it for yourself, especially if you're a fashion fanatic like myself. 

{What a great entrance piece - Halston's lavender silk evening gown with long strands of bugle beads that hang perfectly}
{1962 Norell Chantilly lace fox fur trimmed evening dress}
{1963 Norell embellished shell and floor length skirt}
{My FAVORITE piece on display is this 1966 Norell chemise, glass rhinestone encrusted beauty}
{Bill Blass summer floral dress}
{Halston's lavish creations: the "dinosaur" jacket & silk chiffon caftan dress}
{Halston}
{Halston's Andy Warhol inspired 1960s creation}
{Your mind isn't playing tricks on you - those are safety pins on Sprouse's creation}
{Sprouse}
{Sprouse's creation is totally fitting considering the superhero trend is back in action!}
{Sprouse's silk, velvet and satin tuxedo, inspired by graffiti art for the "uptown" crowd}
{Lara, Sarah, Ashley, Amber, Me}

This exhibition is going on until January 27th, 2013, so there's still plenty of time to go. I did hear they're going to be rotating different pieces to display from time to time, which means I plan on going back to see what fabulous work Sprouse has loaned and the IMA has acquired from Halston, Blass and Norell. Hope you enjoyed! 

Also, a BIG THANKS goes out to Pattern, FAS, and the IMA for putting this event on and your gracious hospitality! It was such a great night chatting with friends and making new ones! 

xx

3 comments:

  1. This is SO cool! And I have to say that your favorite piece is definitely my favorite piece as well. I mean, how can you beat rhinestones and fringe?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They must have already rotated pieces by the time you went, because I saw this exhibit earlier in the summer and I don't recognize most of these! I guess I'll have to go back...
    Your pictures are great, by the way.

    Sarah's Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pics turned out great and I love our group photo!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I appreciate each and every one of them. You sure know how to bring a smile to my face :)