Wednesday, October 3, 2012

{Guest Post} Caprese Pizza

Aloha! I am Allie's big, but not biggest brother, Cory. I have the severe misfortune of being stationed in Kauai with the U.S. Coast Guard. I know, what a drag. However, there are some upsides to being here on the Garden Isle. 1) We have a year round growing season for backyard vegetables. 2) I surf everyday of the week which allows me to eat and drink whatever the hell I want!  BONUS!

Ole Allie Pallie asked me last week if I wouldn't mind guest writing on the Bubble and I said yes of course. Allie and I have been blessed with a family who enjoy the most important things in life...food, drink, family, and friends. I have determined throughout the years that the freshest ingredients, and the most homemade of flavors are the key to producing ridiculously good food. So I have taken up baking! Why? Lotsa folks know how to make a really good burger, awesome pasta, or killer carnitas, but then they go and wrap those epic pieces of flesh in store bought flavorless bread. Ughhh! What a let down. So let me share the basic recipe that I use for bread, buns, tortillas, and today's pizza dough. To top this dough?...my wife's homemade backyard pesto and homegrown tomatoes.
{What a garden in Kauai looks like}

{Ingredients}

Dough:
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Yeast
4 Tbsp Olive oil
3/4 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar( I use Vermont maple syrup)

Toppings:
1/4 cup pesto
2.5 sliced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped red onions
1/8th portabello chopped
1/4 cup mozzarella
1/4 cup procuitto( it wouldn't be a meal without cured pig flesh)
A few handfuls of spinach

{Instructions}

1. In a measuring cup add sugar, then water, then yeast.  Allow yeast to eat up and activate.
2. In a mixing bowl add salt to flour and mix. Then cut in olive oil.
3. Mix water/yeast slurry into flour. Add water as needed to reach soft but not sticky dough ball.
3. Knead for 3-5 minutes.
4. Coat dough ball in 1/2 Tbsp olive oil and allow to rise in mixing bowl.
5. Preheat grill or oven for blazing a$$ hot
6. Roll dough out 1/4 inch thick onto a greased cookie sheet or pizza pan.
7. Spread on the ingredients
8. Toss the pizza on the grill or in the oven and crack a beer!
9. When the crust and cheese start to brown, you can pull the pizza.
10. Allow to cool, then slice and go to heaven!


This basic dough recipe was my gateway into baking. You can sub in one cup of whole wheat for a wheat dough. Sub baking powder for yeast, and water for crazy hot water and making tortillas. Sub olive oil for butter, change to cold water, and you have a basic pastry dough. So go crazy, have fun, and eat.

Food and drink is fantastic. It unites family and friends and brings smiles to peoples faces. You have to eat everyday, you might as well eat well.

Thanks little sister, this was fun. Aloha!  

-Cory 

9 comments:

  1. Yumm this looks delish! I've been seeing more and more people cook their pizza on the grill... I need to try that! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, yum. And I totally agree, food and drinks bring people together! :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, thank you for this! I've always ALWAYS wanted to make homemade crust... duuuh, go google it? No, I'm authentic and would rather come to a blog.

    Thanks for the share!

    {heatheringheights.com}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pizza on the grill?!?!?! Really? OMG I have to try this, stat!

    xx-
    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really!! it looks delicious!! Thank you for sharing it with us!
    http://www.home2garden.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! I appreciate each and every one of them. You sure know how to bring a smile to my face :)